Tips to be a better listener:
- Stop talking!
- Prepare to listen
- Encourage the speaker to continue by nodding or using hand gestures
- Remove all distractions -put your phone away, and don’t stare at other things
- Empathise – have an open mind so you can understand the other person’s point of view.
- Patience – Don’t interrupt the speaker, if you do, apologize and ask them to continue.
- Avoid prejudice – Ignore the way they talk and don’t judge them based on their appearance. Try to focus on what they are trying to say
- Listen to the tone – Try to understand their tone, high or low pitch so you can pick out what was important in the conversation.
- Listen for ideas – Try to focus on what ideas they are trying to give you
- Non-verbal communication – sometimes they will nod or wink or use weird eye movement. Try to understand what that means.